Thursday, October 22, 2015

Fun, Friendship, and Fellowship Three Years Later

Fun, Friendship, and Fellowship Three Years Later The following is a reprinting of an article titled “Fun, Friendship and Fellowship Part 2” from CQ #132, published back in early 2006, written by Michael Lewis. STARFLEET has members in many parts of the world. Can we “think globally and act locally” in many parts of the world at least one day a year? Can we do something to improve the environment of the planet as an international organization? “The International Coastal Cleanup engages people to remove trash and debris from the world’s beaches and waterways, to identify the sources of debris, and to change the behaviors that cause pollution.” The main cleanup event is the third Saturday of September each year worldwide. Imagine members of STARFLEET working on one project, once a year, worldwide. Imagine people in close to 100 countries, including the US, seeing members of STARFLEET working in their towns, cities, and rural areas on one project. Imagine members communicating with each other and with non members worldwide. Sounds like fun to me! I participate in the International Coastal Cleanup in Richmond, Virginia with Clean Virginia Waterways each year. I do this as a site captain. STARFLEET chapters in Virginia can do this as well, with me or another site captain. And now, here’s Michael’s follow-up, three and a half years later… I followed my own request of STARFLEET members. I volunteered for Clean Virginia Waterways International Coastal Cleanup events. I communicated with other STARFLEET members during these events. I communicated with non-members during these events. I attended a few conventions in Virginia and one in Maryland. I met some members of Region 1 and Region 7 during these conventions. I talked to some of the members that I met about volunteering for the International Coastal Cleanup. One person I talked with, while I manned a Clean Virginia Waterways International Coastal Cleanup display at a library during a science fiction event, commented that I seemed out of place with the science fiction theme around me. I told him about the article that appeared in the Communiqué and showed him the article. I said that many members of STARFLEET volunteered for charities and organizations that were not science fiction related. So I ask my fellow STARFLEET members again to volunteer for the International Coastal Cleanup in many countries around the world and the Clean Virginia Waterways International Coastal Cleanup in Virginia, USA. Please talk to other members and non-members while you do these cleanups. Let people in many parts of the world see members of STARFLEET working together in their cities and towns. And please have fun, friendship and fellowship with each other and non-members as you do something for the environment.


STARFLEET Communiqué
Number 153
Publisher: Jonathan Lane
Editor-in-Chief: Prasith Kim-Aun, DMD
Content Editor: Jonathan Lane
Layout: Prasith Kim-Aun, DMD
Front Cover: Layout by Jonathan Lane
Proof Readers: Jon Lane and Alex Rosenzweig
Published by:
STARFLEET,
The International Star Trek Fan Association, Inc.
PO Box 291
North Hampton, NH 03862

No comments: